It’s the time of year to make your annual resolutions if you haven’t already. Sticking with popular ones like living healthier and reducing debt, for example, are great goals, but perhaps it’s time to step outside the box. Think about goals that may prevent accidents and injuries – goals that will keep personal injury lawsuits at bay. Here are some examples:
- Review insurance policies. Ensure that your car, home, business policies are up to date with the changing values caused by inflation, appreciation or depreciation.
- Make a promise to yourself that when you’re on the road you avoid distractions. Distractions include more than cell phone use. Eating, putting on makeup, and letting your mind wander are also accident causing distractions.
- Don’t drive while drowsy either. Better to pull over and take a cat nap than fall asleep at the wheel.
- Do a scan of your home and yard for potential hazards that could cause injury, for example, exposed cords, loose bricks, or a dilapidated deck. Fix what you can and make sure you’ve noted everything else and warn visitors.
- Dispose of unused or expired prescription drugs.
- If you have a dog, check your fence for holes or broken latches and ensure your pet cannot leave the property and bite someone.
- At work, be sure to wear all required safety gear. Periodically check equipment and gear for damage and malfunctions.
Some of these seem obvious, but people suffer preventable injuries every day. The others may seem like a lot of work, but the alternative – a personal injury lawsuit – would be an even bigger headache.
Have a safe and happy 2017.