Attorney John Messina has practiced personal injury law for most of his career. Having obtained record-setting results for clients over more than four decades, John has an established reputation for tenacious advocacy.
Verdicts and Settlements:
- $1.2 million verdict to a young woman who suffered brain injuries in auto accident.
- $2 million settlement for a mother and daughter injured after their vehicle was hit by a semi-truck that ran a red light.
- $3 million settlement for the death of an adult male and serious brain and orthopedic injuries to a child.
- $3 million to the family of a man who was killed in a multiple car collision when a tarp flew off a truck and onto his windshield.
- Confidential settlement for a seven-year-old girl paralyzed after the vehicle in which she was a passenger was hit head by another vehicle.
- $1.2 million settlement for a client who suffered burns to his feet when a fire spread from his car engine to the passenger compartment as a result of the manufacturer releasing the vehicle with a defective firewall.
- $1.9 million verdict for a man who became a quadriplegic when a nine-pound screw loosened from a crane and fell 60 feet onto his head, breaking his neck.
- $3 million settlement for a baby permanently disabled when a faulty lamp shorted, causing an electrical injury.
- $8.9 million verdict for a man seriously injured when the vehicle he was driving rolled onto its roof, which collapsed due to shoddy construction and use of cheap materials to save the manufacturer money.
- $1.4 million settlement to a client who was severely injured in a car accident that also killed her mother, caused by an inadequately supervised drug-dependent parolee.
- $1.9 million settlement to a mother whose teenage daughter was murdered by a sex offender who was improperly supervised while on parole.
- $2.1 million settlement for the death of a husband and father at the hands of a reckless driver. She should have been in jail on the day she killed the man, but government agencies released her early.
- $11 million settlement against DSHS for six victims who were physically and sexually abused as children by their foster parents.
- $975,000 settlement against a bar for the over-service of alcohol after their customer left the establishment and killed a young woman in a drunk driving accident.
- $1.1 million verdict for a client whose son was killed by a sheriff’s deputy. The boy was unarmed.
- $1.9 million settlement for the death of a male head of family who died in a drunk driving accident. The driver was over-served by a local bar.
- $3.6 million settlement for a worker who became a quadriplegic as a result of another worker’s unsafe operation of a crane.
- $4.1 million verdict for a client who became a paraplegic due to a construction site fall at McChord Air Force Base.
Highway Design and Maintenance Liability
- $1.1 million verdict for a man whose wife and children died in a car accident caused by the improper de-icing of the roadway.
- $3.1 million verdict for a man who was in an accident that ended up costing him both legs and an arm. The car he was riding in struck a power pole and though he walked away from the accident, he walked into the downed live power lines which burned his body, resulting in the triple amputation. A jury decided the road was poorly designed and that the power pole was too close to the roadway. This case was the highest verdict in the State of Washington at the time, a record it held for four years.
- $3.5 million settlement for a husband and former nuclear engineer who suffered a critical and permanent brain injury after running over a hazard on a bike trail recommended by the county.
- $1.1 million settlement for the parents of a newborn baby who endured life-long injuries because hospital staff delayed the pregnant mother’s admission to hospital.
In his 40 + years as a personal injury attorney, John has been recognized for his excellence and successes in the legal field and has been bestowed with many honors and awards.
Achievements and Awards
- Graduated first in his class at Gonzaga Law School
- Received highest score of all students taking the bar in Washington, summer of 1969, .
- Numerous articles published in the Gonzaga Law Review
- Recognized by peers as one of the 100 best trial lawyers in Washington state
- For more than 30 years, chosen by peers as one of the Best Lawyers in America in Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, and Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs
- In 1979 was named Trial Lawyer of the Year by the Washington State Association for Justice
- Highest rating for over 25 years from Martindale-Hubbell
- Law and Politics “Super Lawyer” since 1998
- Member of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, whose membership is limited to 500 nationally
- Member of Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Certified in Civil Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Served on the committee of Washington State Supreme Court that writes standardized trial jury instructions
- Best Attorney in the South Sound for 2014 as voted by South Sound Magazine readers
- Named one of the Nation’s top 1% of lawyers in the USA by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel.